Saturday, August 21, 2010

Korean Eco-Adventure

The weekend as an english teacher in Korea can be a time for mundane activities such as laundry, a time to restock the fridge with sustenance to get you through the week or a time for the wonderfully sporadic, exciting and unexpected to occur. Last weekend myself and 4 other teachers from my school decided to make Saturday at time for the latter.
Our mission: head out to the outskirts of the city, find a place called, "Herb Hills" and zipline.
We got started a little late in the afternoon and after waiting a bit longer than expected for a our bus from Dongdaegu Station (the main train station in Daegu) to arrive we were finally on our way to the fantastic world of eco-tourism brought to you by, "Herb Hills" Upon our arrival we were met by an outdoor adventure theme park that was half wonderfully tacky and half completely bizarre. On one side of the path up toward our eco-zipline adventures would be bumper cars surrounded by large, beautiful flowers and on the other would be a singing pirate ship carnival ride with a small bear and monkey leashed up and fighting each other for the park-goer's enjoyment.
We finally made our way to the rope/zipline course where we got suited up with harnesses, helmets and gloves, signed our lives away, went through a 5 minute "how not to die" training crash course and then we were on our way. The course was difficult to quite difficult and lasted about 45mins-1 hr. I didn't bring my camera with so all I have to show you is a video I found on youtube that documents some other people's time at the park. Sorry. Just cut out a picture of me and put it on the screen and you can basically get a sense of me at the park.
It was well worth the journey out and ziplining was a blast. However, one of the funnest things we did was the bumper cars as we were about to leave the park. We were half way out, we saw the bumper cars sitting sadly in the dark under the tent, we all gave each other a look and soon were saddled up and ready to whiplash the heck out of each other. By far the longest bumper car session i've ever been a part of, by far the fastest and most high impact bumper car session i've ever been a part of. Lots of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feXdSA7becE

1 comment:

  1. hi. im from seattle too and I thought I'd stop by an say hi. im living in korea at the moment. ive been here only two months so far. I'm having a hard time making friends so I thought I'd drop you a line.

    my email is liabw05@gmail.com you can find me on fb if you'd like

    ReplyDelete