Saturday, August 21, 2010

Hiking, it's what we do.

In my many minutes of cramming on everything and anything "korea" prior to my arrival in the "land of morning calm" I discovered several things. I discovered two main things. First, korean people are extremely generous, kind and helpful. This has been affirmed and validated almost on a daily basis with some exceptions. A few days ago I was on my morning run and on my way home I passed a sweet looking older woman who met me with hands raised in the air and the cheers of a fan watching her country's runner snag gold at the olympics. Needless to say, I returned her support with a HUGE smile and bow. Second, most korean people love hiking and are known to take it VERY seriously.
Back home we toss about "hiking" as a casual weekend day-trip type term that evokes images of a nice day in the wilderness, perhaps a few snapshots, a little sweat and then a tasty picnic perhaps. I've discovered that in Korea, it's more like a showdown between man and mountain.
Apsan Mountain is the mountain I run next to every morning and even at 7am there are men easily in their 50's and 60's who are already making their way back from walking to the entrance (all free, no pass necessary) hiking to the top (1-2 hours intense), hiking down and then passing me.
I made my way to Apsan a few weeks back with my trail-guide, Genie who is worship leader at the church I go to. The first thing I noticed was how well-maintained the trails were. The trail began somewhat gentle but within about 20 minutes we were headed straight up. Along the way we passed groups of women working out at these outdoor workout centers that are all over the city, a group of yoga practioners, some casual dayhikers and then the not so "casual" hikers barreling up the mountain. One man was flying up the mountain with military cargo shorts, no shirt and flip-flops. What!!??!!
After about 1hr and 20mins we made it to the top where we were met by a meditating monk who, listening to his mantra for 5 minutes, began to sound like the hum of my refrigerator. We were also met with dazzling views of our city of Daegu on a surprisingly clear day. And even with that said, it's not that clear. Daegu is surrounded by mountains and this leaves little relief for the smog and clouds to go anywhere but to settle right over the city. Great vistas nonetheless.
We decided to take the cable car down which was a change of pace and then passed an interesting park at the base of the mountain that used to be an old village which was guarded by the two statues of "man" and "woman."
Overall, it was great to get up and out of the city, breathe some fresh air and marvel at the beauty of korea that is often masked by the city feel from the ground that I now reside in. More hiking to come for sure. Enjoy the pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment